- Sensitivelight.com is
clearly the master of this genre. You can find some good info
on this thread
- Smoke is from incense sticks purchased from the local megastore.
Florasense brand, Rain Forest scent, but I don't think the specifics matter.
The only other option was patchouli scent, and I refuse to stink up
my crib with patchouli :-)
- Camera is 4-5 feet in front of the incense
- Black fleece blanket is hanging approximately 6' behind the incense.
- Room is dark. Only light is from the flash, which is either behind/below
or to the right/below
- Gear is Canon Digital Rebel XT body, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens,
Vivitar 283 Flash unit with the thyristor removed. In the future I'll
need to put the thyristor back in... there is some slight blur because
of the flash duration (approximately 1/750 second)
- F-stop was f/11 to f/16 (I was experimenting)
- ISO 100
- Bulb shutter. Actually, I set the shutter 1/2 second,
used a remote cable, then manually hit my flash a fraction of a second
after hitting the shutter release.
I'll probably use my timing computer for this in the future, but I
wanted to try it manually to verify that no special gear was needed.
- Getting the smoke trail to swirl nicely is an exercise left to the reader.
Let's just say I have a trick that gets my "nice swirl" percentage up to
about 25%, which is better than the 5-10% I got when I simply shot at
random time intervals :-).
- Click on the images below to see larger versions.